Join Rhoda Draws for a lively workshop in quick sketching on location. This series of three sessions on consecutive weekends is designed to provide a complete introduction to Sketching Fast & Loose, from simple to more complex subjects and techniques. Quick sketching is ideal for making a travel journal, improving eye-hand coordination and taking advantage of “down time” in airports, cafes, etc. We will meet at the art store @ 10:30 am and finish up on location @ 1:30 pm. Fee is $100 for the 3-session series, payable in advance. Returning students pay only $75 for the series, or $25 per single session.
The next series is on Sundays, May 15th, 22nd and 29th. Please email me to sign up for the May series and get the required supplies list (all items are available at the Napa Valley Art store). firstname.lastname@example.org.
(Rhoda will be sketching in Europe for most of June, and resting for most of July! So, we’ll pick up again in August)
CURRENT WORKSHOP FOR MAY :
Class is a series of THREE sessions (3 days in the month), with lessons developing from basic to more advanced. You would sign up for the whole series, at a discount: $100 (instead of $120 for 3 separate classes).
We meet at the art store for some warmup sketches, then go out on location to a variety of indoor and outdoor venues.
Class dates are: May 15th, 22nd and 29th at 10:30am and ending at 1:30pm.
Session #1 Display of sketches by Rhoda and her students, showing a variety of subjects, locations and styles.
- Getting acquainted with the art materials. Practice sketching from photos. Sketching objects (shoes, chairs, etc.). Choosing your point of view (POV) and zoom level. ”Less is More.” Minimize the number of elements needed to capture a subject. Use the fewest pen or pencil strokes possible. Keep your pen or pencil on the paper at all times. On location: Whole Foods, or Pier 1 Imports.
Session #2 Buildings and landscape:
Making very small “thumbnail” value studies to explore layout and tonal arrangements. Organizing the elements in a scene into a new composition. Creating a focal point. Creative scribbling for repeated patterns. On location: Riverfront area, or Embassy Suites ______________________________________________________________________
Session #3 Sketching people.
- The basic proportions of the human head and body. Practice from photos of head shots and people in action. Gesture sketches to capture the essence of a pose. On location: Oxbow Public Market. We will scatter around the room and draw each other, followed by “stealth” sketching other people without being noticed.
SKETCHING FAST & LOOSE IS USEFUL FOR:
- Capturing the essence of a subject
- Developing observational skills
- Making a colorful travel journal
- Using “down time” to advantage: cafes, airports….
- Sketchbook: max. size 8×10″ white paper with a medium texture, heavy enough to handle wet media (100-180 lb.). Recommended: Stillman & Birn brand, Alpha or Beta series.
- Black Waterproof Pens: Micron size .08 and Faber-Castell B (brush) pen.
- White gel pen: Uni-Ball Signo gel pen
- Aquarelle (water-soluble) pencils, various brands. Six to eight colors to start (sepia, indigo blue, forest green, teal blue, yellow ochre, brick red, deep purple)
- Water brushes: Japanese-made brush with a water reservoir (large tip)
- Accessories: viewfinder, pencil sharpener, clear vinyl pouch for everything but the sketchbook.
To sign up for this event please e-mail Rhoda Directly at email@example.com
**After completing the series of three classes, you can sign up again at a reduced price: $75.00 Or, you can take just one class over again, for only $25.00 Your skill will improve with every session. **
DISCLAIMER: Sign ups let us know if you (our customers) actually want these demos. This class has a small class size, sign ups are required. No drop ins.